OCV will join other Coachella Valley activists Friday in an Intercontinental Day of Action in solidarity with protesters around the world who are determined to stop the TPP. The action coincides with the 20-year anniversary of NAFTA and an important conference in Mexico City on NAFTA’s catastrophic impact and tragic economic and social consequences in Mexico, Canada, and the US.
This is an urgent action because the US Congress will vote any moment on Fast-Track legislation that would rush the 12-country (Australia, Brunei, Chile, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States, and Vietnam) Trans-Pacific Partnership deal through without any debate or Congress even knowing what is in it! We are urging every representative in Congress to VOTE NO ON FAST TRACK!
WHEN: Friday, 31 January 2014, 11:00am
WHERE: Intersection of Hwy 111 and Washington, La Quinta 92253
WHAT: Participants will parade over-sized banners around the busiest intersection in the Coachella Valley to make drivers-/passers-by aware of the imminent dangers to all aspects of our lives should the Fast-Track pass and the TPP go through.
WHY: The pending Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) expands our currently pro-corporate regime across this hemisphere and the Pacific Ocean. Leaked texts prove the TPP is a corporate bill of rights of, for, and by corporations and their allies on the US Trade Commission, exclusively, that threatens to:
- Offshore good-paying jobs to low-wage nations and under-cut working conditions globally
- Create new tools for attacking environmental and consumer safety policies
- Undermine global economic stability by deregulating banks, financial markets on Wall Street
- Grant transnational corporations special authority to challenge countries’ laws, regulations,and court decisions in international tribunals that circumvent domestic judicial systems
- Institute longer patents that restrict access to affordable, generic medications, thereby driving up the costs of medicine
- Enact copyright policies that restrict freedom on the Internet
- Undermine “Buy American” and “Buy Local” government purchasing programs
Similar corporate power grabs have been defeated: The Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI), the Millennial Round of the World Trade Organization, and the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) all died when people stood up and said NO! There’s no reason we can’t do it again with the TPP.
Please bring (home-made) signs: “NO FAST TRACK!” “STOP the TPP!” “TPP = GLOBAL CORPORATE RULE!” “NO MORE NAFTAS!” Bring water, hat, and shades, in case it gets warm.
Please RSVP at: http://civic.moveon.org/event/moveonaction/140654
Actions protesting the Trans-Pacific Partnership, Fast Track, and global corporate rule will be taking place this week, culminating in an Intercontinental Day of Action on Friday, January 31. Visit http://www.tradejustice.ca/tpp/jan31/ and also http://www.flushthetpp.org/ and http://www.stopfasttrack.com/ for more information on actions worldwide. The Light Brigade will be out in San Diego–see https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/0/edit?mid=zignUCNQn0qw.k48PQyQtfAm4 and https://www.facebook.com/events/257586751072513/for more information.
Call Congress this week at 202-225-3121 to urge all representatives to vote NO ON FAST TRACK! For a list of who to call go to: http://www.citizenstrade.org/ctc/blog/2013/11/22/house-members-speaking-fast-track/